Wednesday, September 28, 2005

ACL recap: Saturday

I forgot to mention a few minor details in the first ACL post: It was damn hot and damn dusty. Still, the shows must go on. For us Arizona kids, it felt really humid (I know Midwest Dodge scoffed at that.)
Saturday started at 1:30 for us with Mike Doughty’s Band. I love solo Doughty, although his band setup is strangely starting to resemble Soul Coughing: upright bass, drum kit, synth/electronic noise. Still, it has a totally different sound than Soul Coughing. Doughty is a cool cat. I mean, they covered Duran Duran’s Hungry Like the Wolf. He also rocked a few tracks off Rockity Roll, including my faves: 27 Jennifers and Ossining. He was so good we scrapped our plan to leave early to stake out a spot for Built to Spill at 2:30.

Next was Built to Spill. OK, BTS has been one of my favorite bands, so it pains me to say that I was not impressed or very enthused by their set. They didn’t look thrilled to be there and they didn’t play a new song, which is strange considering a new album is due in the fall. They played some good ones: The Plan, Big Dipper and I Would Hurt a Fly.
We had a little break after Built to Spill, and I staked out a spot for Death Cab for Cutie. We somehow managed to stand behind a junior high pot party. I swear, this kid had sandwich bag full of canibus. Regardless, Death Cab was solid. They played a couple of older tracks, including President of What?, that seemed lost on the O.C. Generation. My worst fears of Death Cab going major came to fruition when I overheard a kid after the show say, “I just wish I knew more of their songs.” Sigh.


The real fun began at 5:30, when we found out that Chris’ girlfriend, Melissa, got us backstage to the Heineken stage. Just in time for the Walkmen. (And shade and water and beer.) This made all the difference in the world. We might have fainted otherwise. And, oh, it made for some killer pics of the Walkmen.



We had an hour to spare before Bloc Party — what, you thought we’d go see Jet? We got a pretty good spot, although I wish the lighting were better (read: I wish I knew how to use my digital camera better). Anyway, this show turned out to be a highlight of the weekend. The BP drummer blew me away, and we had a good laugh when singer Kele Okereke seemed to take a shot at Oasis, which was playing after BP: “You still have Oasis to see, so that should be fun, right? … speaking of, this next song is about arrogance.” Solid.

Needless to say, we bailed on Oasis. I wouldn’t have been able to handle their preening and boasting anyway. We capped the night with some quality mexican food and margaritas with Chris, Melissa,Dodge and MJ, despite Dodge’s, uh, fears of the clientele. Next up: Sunday’s busy finale.

2 comments:

  1. 2020.01.02酒店兼差正面臨持續下滑壓力,酒店工作分析,明年的酒店各大股東投資和酒店上班酒店小姐應徵率表現預估都不佳,以消費拉動經濟較為樂觀,但也充滿挑戰;2020年的大學生/上班族酒店打工壓力比今年更大,經濟成長率可能跌破44%,開啟「框出接S(性服務)」時代。知名酒店經紀指出,專家梁小尊1日在中國上海發表酒店兼職對中共經濟展望的看法。他表示,美「中」貿易戰就算能達成協議,衝突仍可能長期化。他也點出,「中」方以美元計價的出口額,今年1月中罕見出現負成長,夜總會酒店業者年減36%。

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2020.02.01國際知名酒店經紀公司近期正在尋找酒店工作,或有意在公家機關內上班的人請注意,台北市八大行業酒店上班人力需求,近期有77個機關釋出170個約聘僱酒店打工人員職缺。但因各酒店兼差需求人力職務、業務不同,因此薪資落差不小。例如酒店經紀釋出的聘用高級研究員職缺,其月薪依學經歷,最高可達新台幣70000元,但台北市制服店、便服店、禮服店、鋼琴酒吧、日式酒店、飯局、傳播等服務員職缺,月薪僅給70000元。八大行業約聘僱人員招募自即日起~酒店兼職2月7日(週五)止受理報名,預計2月15日(週六)、2月16日(週日)舉辦甄試。

    ReplyDelete