Friday, July 29, 2005

“We’re gonna rock this sh*t, Phoenix-style”

And with those opening words, I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy Brendan Benson’s set on Thursday night at the Clubhouse in Tempe.

Sadly, it was scarcely attended: I’d guess 100 people, at most. The ones who were there were very into it. Benson was really personable, talking with the crowd, cracking the usual “I don’t know how you guys live in this heat” jokes. One funny exchange with a fan: Benson asked if there were clubs in town similar in size to the Clubhouse. He said he remembered playing somewhere in Phoenix with Keane. One fan hollered out, “Celebrity Theatre.” Benson: “Oh, cool. Were you there?” Fan: “No.” Benson (smiling): “Excellent. Moving on to the next song then … ”

Being that my introduction to his music is his latest album, The Alternative to Love, I didn’t recognize much of the set, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and then was convinced enough to purchase “Lapalco” afterward. His band is solid and I just enjoyed the crisp rock they play. Nothing really pretentious about it but nothing bland about it either.
I will say this: Brendan needs to eat a few milkshakes. Dude is skinny. Check the pics for yourself. And no photos of openers Robbers on High Street, but they were good: poppy and happy.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A few more:
1 2 3

No comments:

Post a Comment